June 1st is the start of the Hurricane Season and kicks off Tampa Bay’s rainy season. Our rainstorms can come up quickly and last 20 minutes or the weather front comes in and stalls for a day or two. Either way, if you own or live in a home with gutters, you’ll need to make sure that you clean them regularly. Rain gutters protect your foundation, siding, landscape, and plantings.
Here are some tips about cleaning your gutters and simple steps to tackle the job:
It is best to thoroughly clean your home’s gutters after a big storm or every spring and fall.
Debris and leaves build up and cause water damage to your fascia and roof. Your gutter and downspouts allow the water to run out and away from your roof. If you don’t clean out the gutters, it will block the water and can damage your home’s foundation, basement, or crawlspace.
1. Dress in comfortable clothes and wear a long-sleeved shirt to protect your body. Some people wear rubber gloves too.
2. If you use a tarp to dump the debris and leaves on, you will protect your green lawn plus; it makes it easier to dispose of the debris. You can also use a bucket to put the debris and leaves in.
3. Use an extendable ladder with the ladder “horns” to keep the ladder from damaging the gutter. Make sure you have a sturdy, reliable ladder.
4. A gutter scoop from the hardware store can be used instead of your hands.
5. Flush the gutters and downspouts with a garden hose after you have removed all the debris and leaves out. Look for any leaks around the house.
Another option is to hire a professional to clean out your gutters to protect yourself from any injury.
You can install gutter covers which can be pricey. They come in clip-on grates, mesh screens, or porous foam. Covers also need maintenance to keep them clear so the gutters can do their job.
To protect your home’s foundation, use a splash block which keeps water from coming out of the downspouts. It helps you to avoid digging a trench next to the house.
Contact a roofing specialist. Check out your roof condition now to make sure you don’t have any possible problems like loose or missing shingles, etc.
No. 1 Home Roofing is proud to deliver quality service to its clientele in local communities, and therefore has years of experience in re-roofing and patching flat roofing systems.
No. 1 Home Roofing is a family owned and operated roofing company conveniently located on US Highway 19 in Palm Harbor, Florida. We are dedicated to providing top quality workmanship and materials to ensure that your new roof is done right. We specialize in shingle, tile, and flat roof installation, repairs, and maintenance. Contact us for an appointment and/or estimate at 727-781-7663.